Manuka Honey Skin Benefits
Manuka Honey Skin Benefits
Manuka honey has many wonderful health benefits that we are all aware of . There are many scientific research that has concluded eating manuka honey daily improves our general health and boost our immunity system. Many people are also aware that eating manuka honey provides lots of nutrients for smooth, flawless skins. But not many people know that manuka honey can be applied directly onto the skin to heal and improve our skin! Celebrities such as Scarlett Johansson uses manuka honey as a face mask often.
Lets understand first how manuka honey is so beneficial to our skin
Manuka honey is used in both traditional and modern medicine for its natural antibacterial properties. Manuka contains hydrogen peroxide and is high in antibacterial methylglyoxal (MG). Manuka honey contains up to 100 times more MG than the normal honey found elsewhere. It is this MG that makes manuka honey so potent and good for our health.
Scientific lab tests have verified that methylglyoxal are able to kill these bacteria and super-bugs
- Helicobacter pylori (i.e. H. pylori): Causes of stomach ulcers and “leaky gut” syndrome
- Staphylococcus aureus (i.e. staph infection) and MRSA: These are the “super-bugs” doctors have feared for their resistances to modern antibiotics
- Escherichia coli (i.e. E. Coli): Causes of serious food poisoning
- Streptococcus pyogenes (i.e. strep throat): Causes strep throat
Manuka Honey Heals and Anti-Aging for Skin by Eating or Applying
Anti-aging: Manuka honey is able to retain moistures, without making skin oily, an important condition to help cultivates wrinkle-free skin. Manuka honey also helps in anti-aging by inhibiting a group of enzymes, known as MMP, that destroy collagen. Methylglyoxal or MG has been shown to increase collagen cross-linking, promoting the structural growth of collagen in skin cells. Manuka honey contains amino acids that builds up collagen. A healthy level of collagen means clear, firm, healthy, youthful-looking skin.
Repairs and clear skin: It has been lab proven that manuka honey repairs skin cellular damage, lessens scarring tissues and promotes skin regeneration. Manuka honey helps blemished skin because of natural antibacterial properties. It contains potent anti-inflammatory properties that soothes inflamed skin while healing blemishes. Manuka honey also balance the skin’s pH and contains amino acids which clears dead skin cells, helping to keep pores clear.
Heals pimples / acne: Teenagers and adult with acne prone skins would rejoice to know that manuka honey oxygenates pores and draw our bacteria, improving the skin condition of acne sensitive zones. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that fights acnes, and reduces redness. Manuka Honey also manage and heals inflamed or congested skin and eczema.
Hydration: Manuka honey is a natural humectant, drawing and retaining moisture into the skin. This natural hydration helps to further enhance the skin’s elasticity and cell regeneration, as well as promote skin cell healing. This will hydrate your skin and provides a glowing complexion.
What are some skin treatment I can use manuka honey for?
- Manuka honey calms and heal skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis itching.
- It heals pimples / acne and prevents acne bacteria from returning
- It reduces redness and itchness on sensitive skin
- Manuka honey can cure anti-fungal skin infections, for example athlete’s foot or yeast infections.
- It has been proven supportive in curing harmful skin infections such as staph or MRSA.
- Medical grade manuka honey helps to sooth burns and improve healing times.
- Medical grade manuka honey also also ease wounds and skin cuts infection rates and heal them faster.
- Manuka honey helps in scars healing.
- Manuka honey helps maintains a balance of healthy bacteria and keeps harmful bacteria from your skin
- Manuka honey gives an overall healthy glow to your skin.
How to use manuka honey face mask.
On a weekly basic, I use manuka honey as a facial mask. After washing and gently exfoliating my face, I pat it dry and apply a very thin layer of manuka honey over my face. I let it sit at least 30 minutes (sometimes i leave it for few hours while doing work or watching TV), then wash it off with water.
Here are some other ways:-
Cinnamon Mask: One cleansing way is mix manuka honey with cinnamon and apply as a facial mask. Use hot water to steam your skin, pad dry and apply a thin layer of the cinnamon manuka mixture. Leave on for 20 minutes and gently wipe off. Close pores after by rinsing with cold water. You can use the same mixture as a spot treatment and leave on overnight to heal blemishes.
Cleanser: Add a few drops of hot water to a teaspoon sized potion of manuka and cleanse massage around your entire face for 3 minutes. Gently wipe off with a facial cloth or sponge for extra exfoliation.
Acne Scars / Dark spot treatment: To fade dark spots or acne scars, you can brighten and heal your skin. Mix lemon juices, a teaspoon of cane sugar and a teaspoon of manuka honey. Use hot water to steam your skin, pad dry and massage this mixture in the facial zone and leave it on for 20 minutes. Afterwards, use cold water to rinse and close your pores.
You may buy manuka honey that is UMF-certified for authentic manuka honey, to eat daily, or to apply on your skin.
If you do not like to DIY and prefer manuka honey based skincare products, there is 1 product that Kate Middleton(Royal family of Great Britain) uses for her skin care.
For those with eczema-prone skin, you may wish to consider natural Comvita Medihoney Eczema derma cream.